Recumbent Bicycle Manufacturers
Who Makes Recumbent Bikes?
Mistral Recumbent Bike (Mfg. Challenge Bikes)
For Recumbent Trikes use the "Trikes" Tab or this link >>> Recumbent Trikes
For many the quest to discover what's out there will lead directly to recumbent bicycle manufacturer's sites. Bicycle dealers with experience and broad lines can be few and far between for those of us not fortunate enough to live in the few hotbeds of Recumbent Bike activity.
Want to know what that bike weighs? Convert Grams to Pounds with this Bicycle weight conversion tool.
Recumbent Bike Manufacturers
If you visit a page on our site that is not in your Native Language please visit Google Translate and paste in the URL so you can read the material offered.
*Click this Link to use Google Translate
This is a pretty complete list of recumbent bike manufactures, however if you know of additional companies and would like us to list them here please send us the URL (Unfortunately not every company has a website).
- Actionbent Recumbent Bike - Direct marketer of recumbent bicycles (No Dealer Base). Bikes are imported from china. Company WAS located in Redmond, Washington (A suburb of Seattle). Apparently these guys are gone, which just goes to show that quality really does speak volumes. When people are looking for a Recumbent Bike they want something that contains quality components from SRAM and Shimano. I've never been a fan of Chinese Bicycles because they simply don't take the time to truly engineer products to specifications that result in smooth trouble free operation.
- Azub Bike - This is the English version of the site. Azub is a Czech Republic manufacturer with dealers in the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Germany, Nederland, Belgium, France, Finland and Australia. You may be able to order direct as well, but if you don't know what you are doing this could be a problem as there are import tariffs and restrictions to deal with (Not to mention the cost).
- Bachetta Recumbent Bikes - Known for their Hi-Racers, Giro (26/20 - 406/559), Basso Ti (26/20 - 406/559), Strada (Dual 650c), Corsa (Dual 650c), and Aero Ti (Dual 650c) which is now the CarbonAero. Doesn't appear to be any color choices other than the manufacturers stock color selections. Probably the best looking American bikes although the frames are still manufactured overseas. Would like to see an aluminum option, but the CarbonAero is pretty nice looking. Sells though dealers. St. Petersburg, FL.
- Barcroft Bicycles - Direct marketer known for their Dakota and Virginia Models. As of September 1, 2009, Barcroft is owned by Dana Lieberman, owner of Bent Up Cycles, the best recumbent dealership on the west coast. In addition, Dana manufactures the famous Carbent carbon fiber recumbent bike. Please visit our Dealers page to contact Bent Up Cycles.
- Bent Up Cycles - Dealer & Distributor for several lines. I list them here because Carbent is using them as their sole distributor. Based in Los Angeles, CA.
- Burley Bicycles - (Only Makes Trailers and Accessories). Here is the scoop for now... The "Cooperative" was dissolved to form a Corporation, which was sold to an individual who thinks that Trailers are the way to go. Eugene, Oregon.
- Carbent - (Currently being sold only through Bent Up Cycles). Super light weight carbon fiber - sub 20lbs. I had the opportunity to test ride this bicycle and I want one! Due to neck problems and my Doctors advise it doesn't look like this will be happening for me, but anyone with a healthy neck that really wants to go fast should consider this bike. Carbent bicycles really are under 20lbs! It's an amazing performance machine. If you want one order early because once the word is out it will be interesting to see if production can keep up with demand.
- Carbon Recumbent - Manufacturers lightweight carbon recumbent bicycles in Hungary for export around the world. Bicycles can be specified with the components of your choosing. Offers a unique model called the rain rider which has a full removable fairing to keep you out of the rain while riding and also offers rear suspension. This may just be your ticket to fun winter riding in rainy climates! I've talked with one of their principals and these guys have real manufacturing expertise and are committed to breaking into the USA market. Click the British Flag icon on the upper right side of page to view in English.
- Challenge-Ligfiestsen Bikes - HELLO AMERICAN MANUFACTURERS - take a look. These bikes are AWESOME looking. Pieces of Art! Why isn't there an American manufacturer designing bikes with these aesthetics. This site is a MUST VISIT. Simply beautiful. Sure it matters how a bike performs, but it also matters why they look like. A "10" for style! NETHERLANDS. If the link doesn't work you can also use www.challengebikes.com.
- CruzBike - A unique concept for a mainstream recumbent in that the drive power is sent to the front wheels. All CruzBike models feature dual suspension with an emphasis on both performance in their class and comfort for the rider.
- Cycle Genius - (Update: Cycle Genius is no longer an active business, but they are looking for a Buyer). Looking for a fun, easy to ride and dare I say "affordable" Recumbent? This may well be your ticket. Don't make the mistake I did and jump right into the most expensive highly hyped bicycle out there (Unless you are an experienced rider, with plenty of $ to throw around). Some recumbent bicycles have a pretty steep learning curve and awkward riding position. These bikes look easy to ride. Definitely put them on your list.
- Easy Racers LWB Bicycles - Makers of a line of fast beloved LWB Recumbent bicycles. Owned by Gardner Martin (A "legend" in the recumbent Industry) these bikes have a loyal following of very satisfied customers. Easy Racers has a history of "wins" that goes back for more than a decade in Human Powered Vehicle Racing. Freedom, CA.
- Edge Recumbent Bicycles - March 2015, site is not loading. According to posts on BentRiderOnline they have shut down. The Status of the Edge E2 Trike to my understanding is this (Trike License reverts to Australian Owners who say it will be about a year before another company begins production). Made in Tennessee, USA. Edge states "In 2008 we acquired the inventory, tooling and model names from a well known recumbent manufacturer in the Pacific Northwest." So if you remember the Burley bikes it appears these are newer versions of the Burley designs which is a good thing... Burley made some nice affordable bikes. These bikes are clearly spec'd to meet a price point, hopefully Edge will make a frame kit option for people who want to lighten the load.
- Flevobike - Flevobike is a Nederlands based manufacturer that offers some very interesting and innovative model. Take for example their "Green Machine" which is the only Recumbent I've ever seen that features a fully enclosed drive train using the Rohloff Speed-hub. Their Orca velomobile is another interesting HPV ideally suited to long flat terrain.
- HP Velotechnik -Okay so maybe I'm biased. The Germans build beautiful cars and beautiful bikes. Maybe they are the best in the world, maybe they aren't. Beauty if subjective. But to my eyes these bikes have Style! Starting with the "Spirit", "Street Machine", "Speed Machine", stunning "Grasshopper", and affordable "Wavey". Yeah they may be a little heavy, they may not even be the fastest in their class, but if style and comfort are big on your agenda, then this is a "must visit". Sells through a limited worldwide dealer network. Germany.
- Lightfoot Cycles - American made recumbent bicycles, tricycles and hpv's. Conner, Montana
- Linear Recumbent - USA manufacturer designs, tests and produces their own line of aluminum SWB and LWB recumbent bikes. SWB "Roadster" available with USS or OSS, LWB "Limo" available with USS only. SWB "Minear" OSS or USS fits riders down to ~4'11". Folding models of all 3 available spring 2015.
- Longbikes - Manufacturers long wheel base recumbent bikes and tandem recumbents with model names "Eliminator" and "Slipstream". Sells through a nationwide (Apparently USA Only) dealer network. Lakewood, Colorado.
- Maxarya Bikes - Good looking website, interesting looking bikes. Sells through dealer network. Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- MetaBike - Wish I could tell you more about the MetaBike. Interesting concept that they have created frame geometry that allows this bike to be an upright high racer or to utilize a smaller 20" front wheel. If riding rough roads on a recumbent appeals to you Meta Bikes offers a configuration with what appears to be a mountain bike front shock.
- M5 Ligfietsen - Buyer Beware! My own experience with the owner "Bram" was not good to say the least. I have received emails from other very unhappy M5 owners. I don't know what else to tell you. These are good looking bikes, way heavier than they are spec'd on the website. the quality of the components is okay (You would expect a higher end component set on an expensive bike), and the frames are well built. But you can probably do a lot better. If you want a performance bent try Carbent!
Unsolicited Email Sent to me September 2008... 4 years after I bought my bike.
Hi, I live in Switzerland and ride a shock proof 559.
I just bought direct from M5 one carbon seat... The real piece of crap!
I posted information on the french user forum about recumbents www.velorizontal.bbfr.net
Here is a link to show the M5 "ultralight" carbon crap seat.
(here is the seat brand new, the first tree pictures on the first post)
Here the crap carbon ultrashitylight M5 seat after only 4KM¨!!!!
I received the seat with the exact same look as you can see in the photos, mountend on my sp559 and rided for 4km, than it was broken...
People should know to be very very careful with M5 products
Is better to buy a High Racer from Taiwan "http://performer.com.tw/" than M5.
I'm really pissed-off with mr.Bram
- Nazca Ligfietsen - Nazca is a Nederlands based manufacturer of Recumbent Bicycles that offering a wide selection of attractive models. These models may be too well appointed for those of you looking to ride in hilly terrain at high speed, but if cruising or touring in comfort is your game... check them out.
- Optima Cycles - Why are so many great looking bikes coming out of the Netherlands? Who knows? But hopefully others will follow suit. Models include "Baron", "Cobra", "Condor", "Dolphin", "Dragon", "Hopper", "Lynxx", "Orca", "Rider" and "Stinger". Netherlands.
- Rainbow Ligfietsen - Nederlands based manufacturer offers four models of under seat steering Recumbent Bicycles.
- Rans Bikes - For those who don't know Rans Bikes has changed hands, but will still be manufacturing all the models as before. I've always admired Rans and had hoped they would one day introduce suspension to their line up. Who knows what the future will hold now? One of the better known American Manufactures featuring popular models like the Stratus and Rocket. They also make some really cool looking "Crank Forward" bikes. Montezuma Kansas.
- RaptoBike - Created by a Dutch Company as a startup in January 2006. Offering Front Wheel Drive low and mid racer recumbent bicycles.
- Slyway - Good looking bikes manufactured in Italy.
- TerraCycle - Part Manufacturer, part dealer. Makes their own line of hand crafted bicycles and parts. Resells parts and accessories for other brands. Portland, OR.
- Toxy Recumbent Bicycles - I don't know why the German & Netherlands manufacturers seem to have such a good handle on the "curb appeal" factor, but they do. Another case in point. Germany.
- Troytech Speed Bikes Recumbent Bicycles - So you have a little or a lot of extra cash burning a hole in your designer pocket? Want to own (Arguably) the coolest looking bike on your block, your neighborhood, your city... maybe even your State? Then the Torytech Speed Bike is exactly what you are looking to own! You just have to see for yourself. Munich Germany. Use Google Translate to read in English or other language.
- Varna Hand Cycles - Canadian Manufacturer (British Columbia) offers a variety of interesting bicycles focusing on a line of "Hand Cycles". I don't know if these are truly bents, but this site is definitely worth the visit if only to learn about the different cycling alternatives.
- Velocraft - Velocraft.com has been offline for some time. Status? Carbon Fiber Recumbents. If you want light weight and low to the ground racers you may just need to find (or travel to) a dealer near you. The VK3 looks like the kind of bike an affluent bent enthusiast would like to have in their stable. And you could probably ride this one on the street.
- Volae Recumbents - Volae, LLC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Hostel Shoppe - Bikes are built to design specs by Waterford Precision Cyles in Waterford, Wisconsin.
- Zephyr Ligfietsen - Nederlands based manufacturer offers an attractive low racer model.
- ZOX Recumbent Bikes - Manufactures their own line and reseller for a few other brands. Erlangen, Germany.
Posted by Recumbent Bike Admin
on and filed under Bike Manufacturers
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0
You can leave a response by filling following comment form or trackback to this entry from your site